Whether you’re battling dry hair or flat hair, or all you want is to grow long, luscious locks, there are a few standard practices that will help your hair be as healthy as possible. It’s all about going the more natural route and getting enough nutrients. That shouldn’t be too tough, right? We broke these tips down into easily digestible, actionable tasks, so you can grow a bouncy head of hair without overthinking it.
1. Watch Your Diet: To grow healthy hair, you have to start from the inside out. Of course, you want a balanced diet, but packing in the protein (eggs) and healthy fats (avocado) will not only give your hair an extra boost of strength, but will also keep you feeling fuller longer. (viaWebMD)
2. DIY Your Hair Products: Let’s be honest — it’s hard to tell what’s in all those crazy hair products. Most of the time, we can’t even pronounce the chemicals on the label. But if you DIY the right products, you’ll not only know exactly what you’re putting on your hair, but you’ll know it’s natural and safe. (via Brit + Co)
3. Be Careful With That Towel: When you step out of the shower, dab your hair gently with a towel to remove the extra moisture. As tempting as it is, don’t rub your hair with the towel or wrap it up into a turban on top of your head. The rough fibers in towels can actually strip your hair follicles, which means frizz city. (via Self)
4. Treat Yourself to a Hair Mask: It’s so easy to DIY a hair mask, there’s no excuse not to do it once in awhile. Pampering your hair like this will give it the extra dose of moisture it really needs to be silky, smooth and shiny. (via Hello Natural)
5. Embrace Your Hair’s Natural Texture: This one is kind of a no-brainer, but we all need to be reminded once in awhile. If you want your hair to be its strongest, prettiest self, you have to stay away from the irons — flat, curling or otherwise. It’s a tough one to stick with, but you’ll thank us when your luscious locks are shimmering in the sun. (via Project Inspired)
6. Invest in Fish Oil: We know we mentioned the diet portion of healthy hair care, but for an extra punch, you might want to supplement your diet with fish oil ($22). The omega-3 fatty acids are a healthy fat that can make your hair strong and shiny. It’ll also keep your skin from drying out and causing that dreaded dandruff. (via SF Gate)
7. Ditch the Shampoo: Shampooing too often can do more harm than good, but if you’re not ready to ditch it altogether then just avoid shampooing every other time you shower. If you’re *extra* devoted to keeping your hair as healthy as possible, check out our tips for trying theno-poo method. (via Brit + Co)
8. Invest in a Good Brush: It’s doesn’t have to be expensive, but you should be able find a good brush like this boar bristle one from Sephora($15). Natural boar bristles better distribute your scalp’s oils throughout your strands to keep your hair naturally shiny and healthy.
9. Use a Comb on Wet Hair: In the same vein, a good wide-toothed comb is also a necessity. Do not, we repeat, do not use a brush on your wet hair. The bristles will break the strands, but a wide-toothed comb ($28) like this one from Anthropologie will let you gently work through the knots and tangles. (via Michelle Phan)
10. Hydrate and Avoid Caffeine: There are tons and tons of benefits to drinking plenty of water. In addition to keeping your skin glowing and detoxifying your system, water keeps your hair from getting brittle and supports vitamin consumption, so your strands get all the nutrients they need. At the same time, avoiding caffeine helps keep everything hydrated, so opt for exercise to wake yourself up instead. (via Style Craze)
Got a healthy hair tip that we missed? Let us know in the comments!
Originally posted at brit.co