Many Christmas traditions are passed down from generation to generation. Some can be hundreds of years old. In 2014, many traditions have evolved with the help of technology. Heck, even Santa has a “Cookie-cocoa dispenser” (pic) in his kicked up tech savvy sleigh in The Santa Clause, right? So, what are some fun ways tech has found it’s way into your holidays?
With the emergence of the Internet of Things (IoT), it should be no surprise that there is a plethora of ways tech can be useful around the holidays. Let’s take a look at what’s out there shall we?
1. Track Santa: Today’s kids are all about technology. Let them have some fun tracking Santa on the big day. There are a variety of apps and/or websites out there. Take a look at the “Official NORAD Santa Tracker” website and app in the iTunes Store. The site has some fun games too!
2. App controlled Christmas lights: Don’t be like Clark Griswold and have a Christmas light catastrophe! Find a app to assist you with your lights. Again there are a variety of selections out there. Check out lumenplay.com they offer LED light strings that are controlled via app. The lights can change colors, be synced with music or even assist you with finding a faulty bulb!
3. Hue lighting systems: I mentioned these last week in the top tech gift ideas, as something Dave was drooling over. This system and it’s corresponding app have many preset light menus/themes. You can pick Hanukah, Kwanza, Christmas, New Years and more. You can also synch them to music or even link it to things like Sports Center to get flashing lights when your favorite team scores!
4. Elf yourself: OK, is there anyone left out there who hasnt had some fun with this app? Our youngest made the funniest one of us all this year, complete with adding in the dog!
6. Digital cooking devices: Don’t get trapped in your kitchen, glued to our stove while you have guests enjoying the holidays. Utilize digital cooking apps to assist you in monitoring your feast while you mingle with your guest. Check out theideviceinc.com and see their wide selection of thermometers and cooking probes.
7. Interactive holiday stories: Apple has a entire section devoted to “Seasonal Stories”. You can find “A Charlie Brown Christmas – A Peanuts Holiday Classic Interactive Pop-up Book” for example, amongst many others.
These are just a small sample of digital, apps and tech ways to spice up your holidays! There’s fun and games for kids and adults alike. You can find plenty of cooking and recipe book apps, music, lights and more. What are some of your favorite tech holiday items? If you try out anything I’ve listed, I would love to hear your experience. Have fun this holiday season!